kde 3.2.2: start_launcher again!

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Apr 27 07:42:12 BST 2004

B.W.H. van Beest wrote:
> This kde 3.2.2 is driving me crazy. I had it running once, but after
> adding some packages (using konstruct, with make install) I am back to
> square one (see below): certain symbols cannot be found.   (KDE 3.2.2 on
> Suse linux 9.0).
> I had it running for a few days, so it must be something in my
> environment, but I have no clue what. (I indeed changed ld.so.conf in
> between, but I have changed it back to the best of my knowledge)
> It know reads:
>
> /etc/ld.so.conf:
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw95
> /usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d
> /usr/X11R6/lib
> /usr/i486-linux/lib
> /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib=libc5
> /usr/i486-linux-libc6/lib=libc6
> /usr/i486-linuxaout/lib
> /usr/i386-suse-linux/lib
> /usr/local/lib
> # /opt/kde3/lib
> /opt/kde-3.2.2/lib
> /opt/kde-3.2.2/lib/kde3
> /opt/gnome/lib

This looks OK, except that I don't see anything for Qt.  Where is Qt installed?

> I have set the environment variables KDEDIR and KDEDIR to the kde
> installation  bin directory.

If you mean that you set:

	KDEDIR=/opt/kde-3.2.2/bin

that is wrong.  You need to add: "/opt/kde-3.2.2/bin" to your path.

HOWEVER, you should set:

	KDEDIR=/opt/kde-3.2.2

Where did you set this?  If SuSE has a directory: "/etc/profile.d/" you
would normally use a script in that directory.  Look for files:
/etc/profile.d/kde*.sh" to see if there is an old one.

You also need to set:

	KDEHOME
	QTDIR
	PATH

correctly.

> Q.   Who can tell me where this start_laucher symbol can be found? In
> which library
>        There must be a kde developer who understands all of this.

No comment. :-)  But, I hope that I can figure this out for you.

> =====================================
> XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1
> Release Date: 9 May 2003
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
> Build Operating System: SuSE Linux [ELF] SuSE
> Build Date: 12 February 2004
>  Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
>  to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>       (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>       (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Fri Apr 23 08:20:40 2004
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
> (II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local,
> removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/kwintv,
> removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID, removing
> from list!
> xset:  bad font path element (#175), possible causes are:
>  Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>  Directory missing fonts.dir
>  Incorrect font server address or syntax
> xset:  bad font path element (#175), possible causes are:
>  Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>  Directory missing fonts.dir
>  Incorrect font server address or syntax

You have some minor X font configuration issues but not enough to cause it
to fail to start, so worry about these later.

> QPainter::begin: Cannot paint null pixmap
> QPainter::begin: Cannot paint null pixmap

Don't worry about these, it is just useless debug information.

> DCOP: register 'anonymous-22392' -> number of clients is now 1
> DCOP: unregister 'anonymous-22392'
>
> ****************> Could not find start_launcher:
> /opt/kde-3.2.2/lib/libkdecore.so.4: undefined symbol: start_launcher

This is not right because my libkdecore.so.4.2 does not contain the symbol:
"start_launcher" and it works OK (I have KDE-3.2.2 up and running).  And,
note that KDE-3.2.2 should have version 4.2.0 installed although it is
probably linked against version 4.2.  That means that there should be a
link in: /opt/kde-3.2.2/lib:

	libkdecore.so.4 -> libkdecore.so.4.2

You should also have one for the linker:

	libkdecore.so -> libkdecore.so.4.2

Do you still have an older version of KDE on your system.  This is a common
problem.  On Linux at least the stuff has different version numbers, but it
is still possible to have them mixed up.

That is, do you still have stuff in: "/opt/kde3".  If so, lock that
directory and see what happens -- see if you get a different error message.

To lock the directory execute in a Konsole or Virtual Terminal [as root]:

	chmod 000 /opt/kde3

Then as far as the system is concerned that directory doesn't exist.

I suspect that your PATH might be wrong:

	echo $PATH

post the results if you are not sure.

--
JRT