How to add a menu item visible for ALL users?

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Sat Nov 29 14:20:02 GMT 2003

On Sat November 29 2003 14:50, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > > What exactly do you mean with "Panel Menu" ?
> >
> > Guess I used "Panel Menu" in the wrong context. What I meant was the area
> > tipically located at the right of the K Menu, where buttons of frequently
> > used application are usually placed. Suppose this area is called "Quick
> > Launcher Applet".
>
> If it has two rows of icons, it is the quicklauncher applet.
> If it is only one row of large icons, they are buttons on kicker itself.
>
> > How can I add an application button to this area for all users?
>
> The order of buttons (assuming buttons-on-kicker) is stored in
> .kde/share/config/kickerrc
>
> I think it depends if users are usually allowed to modify the setup.
> If no, you can set the appropriate config in the global directory and make
> some of the entries, groups or the whole file immutable using the Kiosk
> notation.
>
> Not sure how one would proceed if users are allowed to modify their
> kickers.

In that case, for new users you can still add an appropriate config in the
global directory, which will then be used as default.

To add it to the setting of existing users is trickier (if they are allowed to
make changes themselves as well). You could write a kconf_update script for
this, but I think you need to make sure that nobody is logged in when you
install it.

A kconf_update script runs once when the user logs in for the first time
(after you installed it) and is used to make updates to configuration files.
It is used by KDE itself to upgrade settings between different versions of
KDE if the format has changed.

It typically contains of a *.upd file which describes which config file should
be changed, and a perl script that reads the original settings and outputs
the changes.

Cheers,
Waldo
- --