kde 3.1.93-0.1 problems

Gerhard den Hollander gerhard at fugro-jason.com
Mon Nov 24 13:28:50 GMT 2003

* Jose Celestino <japc at co.sapo.pt> (Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:48:48AM +0000)
> Hi,

> after installing 3.1.93-0.1 I faced the following problems:

> - khotkeys exits with SIGSEGV at startup but it works ok if run by hand
>   afterwards;

> - ksplash doesn't find any themes. It seems to be looking at /; if I put
>   splash_active_bar.png, splash_bottom.png, splash_inactive_bar.png and
>   splash_top.png at / it works just fine;

> - klaptop appears out of the sytem tray (on the top left corner of
>   screen, unmanaged). same for keyboard_layout;

> - kscreensaver sees no screensavers;

> Anyone faced some of this problems? Any solutions?

There are many issues with 32beta.
Some are instalation issues (how did you install ? Which distro ?)
on suse 82, making sure there are absolutely no conflicts when installing
helps a lot.

Setting KDEHOME to somethign else then your kde31 home also helps.

Still there are other issues:
- arts_init() SEGVs (which means the arts plugin in xmms does not work)
- konqueror is hideously slow
- session save/restore does not work

However, a lot of annoyances and bugs are now fixed, and some xtras
(decoration less windows) are really handy.

But unless the 3 issues above are resolved kde32 is not ready for prime
time (at least not for me ;) )

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone :+31-10.280.1515
ICT manager                                     Direct:+31-10.280.1539