To embed or not to embed

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Nov 15 02:05:49 GMT 2003

Shawn Willden wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2003 12:08 pm, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>There doesn't appear to be any way to do this with the GUI.  So, you
>>have to edit the MIME type 'desktop' file.
>

> Do you know what value one would put in the desktop file to get this
> behavior?  I can't find anything.
>
> After a great deal of experimentation, here's what I've found (I tested
> application/x-zip, application/x-tgz and application/x-gzip and
> application/x-tar):
>
> 1.  If ark_part is listed as the embedded viewer, it will be used
> regardless of whether the file is local or remote and, indeed, regardless
> of whether the "Left Click Action" is set to "Show file in embedded
> viewer" or "Show file in separate viewer".
>
> 2.  If no embedded viewer is defined, the desired behavior is achieved:
> Local files (file: protocol) are opened with zip: or tar: kioslaves
> (that's how I understand it to work, I could most definitely be wrong).
> If the file is remote (http: protocol), the user is prompted for a file
> name.
>
> 3.  Setting "Ark" as an external viewer appears to have no effect
> whatsoever.
>
> 4.  Other mimetypes behave similarly.  For example, I have image/jpeg set
> to "Show file in separate viewer", and that viewer is gqview.  khtmlimage
> is set as the embedded viewer.  http: URLs that link to a JPEG use
> khtmlimage but file: URLs open with gqview.
>
> I haven't found any way to get konqueror to prompt me.

Prompting is the default.  When you check the "Do not ask again" box it
makes a note of it.  I thought that this would be in the MIME type file,
but it is an entry in: konqueorrc.

	askSaveapplication/x-tbz=Yes

Note the lack of a delimiter between: 'askSave' and 'application'.

and the logical sense of it seems backwards to me.  I don't know what would
happen if you added a line like this but with: "No" for something that you
wanted to be prompted for.  But, removing this line will make it start to
ask you again.

--
JRT