KDE Font Installer

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat May 31 22:51:56 BST 2003

I don't know if there is a bug for this, but:

I tested it in KDE 3.1.2 and the font installer will now install fonts
in the users local directory: (using Basic Mode) so that they WILL
work with FontConfig.  :-)

I note that I am using todays build of KDE_3_1_BRANCH so there is the
small possibility that it didn't make it into the release.

Also, it appears to make the fonts available to GhostScript.

Note that the "Fontmap" file is in "~/.kde/share/fonts/" and the fonts
are installed in: ~/.kde/share/fonts/override/.  This is not the way
other programs do it.  So, if you want to install local fonts without
using the KDE Font Installer, I suggest that you install them in a
subdirectory of: ~/.fonts.

There is still some font stuff in the: "startkde" script that is
either obsolete (e.g. now unnecessary) or doesn't appear that it would
work.

--
JRT