Am I wasting my time with Red Hat?

Mick Szucs mick at onramp.ca
Fri Mar 21 14:22:01 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 07:49, gabriel wrote:
> On March 21, 2003 06:42 am, Martin Thomas wrote:
> > Am I being too harsh on Red Hat, or would it be better if I switched
> > to a differant distro?
>

> yes
> you're wasting your time
>   (bring on the flames)
> redhat has refused to keep its desktop software up to date
> favouring in most cases gnome.  often, if you want a software upgrade, you
> have to upgrade your entire distro... which often requires a complete wipe
> and re-install.

One thing I'm curious about, though.  There are certainly lots of
reasons to not stick with Redhat.  The one that ultimately had me switch
to Mandrake was their lack of support for and the damage that they did
to KDE.  I wanted to be able to move forward with KDE releases as they
came out, rather than wait the months and months that it seemed it would
take Redhat to come out with binaries for the newest flavour of KDE.

Today, however, there are KDE 3.1.1 binaries available for Redhat 8.0,
and still no binaries for Mandrake 9?  What's up?

--
Mick Szucs <mick at onramp.ca>
Onramp Network Services Inc.