Too much aRts, Polonius.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jun 28 10:40:15 BST 2003

James Henry Maiewski wrote:
>>>	Whenever I un-mute the PCM channel I get random spurts of static, and an
>>>electronic 'vroom-vroom' sound when I even move the PCM slider.  When I
>>>attempt to play a sound file, I get an increased amount of static, until
>>>the playing stops (which seems to suggest that something is going right).
>>> In fact, if I try to change the sound device to /dev/dsp in KDE control
>>>center,
>>
>>???  Exactly where are you trying to do this??
>

> From the The K menu, on the panel (in Mandrake 9.1, at least), its:
> Configuration -> KDE [Control center] -> Sound -> Sound System -> Sound I/O:
> Use custome sound device.

You shouldn't need to do this unless you have a sound card that won't use
the default.  I don't think that this is the case here so I would uncheck
the box.

>>>it can't, then switches to the NULL device, which promply silences my
>>>speakers.
>>
>>I don't think that ALSA uses /dev/dsp.  Something about installing the ALSA
>>devices IIRC -- a bunch of stuff in: "/dev/snd/".
>

> ls /dev list no snd.  /dev/dsp is a pointer to /dev/sound/dsp, and I have seen
> something about a /dev/asound/dsp

I'm not sure about this, but the ALSA driver has a script that installs
drivers for ALSA.  That is what I did.  OTOH, "asound" usually refers to ALSA.

>>Also, you need to have your: "/etc/modules.conf" file correct for an ALSA
>>driver to work correctly.
>

> I've downloaded 0.9.4 and will folow these directions.  I've tried this with
> earlier releases, but hope springs eternal.

I had trouble getting it to work too.  I have an es1371, and I don't know
exactly what I did, but I got it to work after ... .