Printing woes

Johnny Andersson johnny at johnnys.info
Tue Jun 10 10:21:33 BST 2003

I'm trying to get KDE to print both Japanese and Swedish characters in the
same document - not an easy task, it seems. I'm using CUPS,
Foomatic+Gimp-print.

To enable Japanese printing, I have to do

export LC_ALL=ja_JP
export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP

before starting my KDE app to print from. Otherwise Japanese characters show
up as boxes on the page (in print preview and on the actual paper). But when
I do this, the Swedish (åäö,ÅÄÖ) characters don't show up on the page at all.

I noticed that disabling <Print dialog->System options->Fonts->Embed fonts in
postscript data> makes the Swedish characters show up, but now the Japense
are gone...

What's so fscking difficult about taking unicode characters, printing with a
unicode font, and not caring what the h*ell kinda language the characters are
from? Arrgh!

Any help deeply appreciated.