gnome icons and gnome 'desktop menu' on right-click

Richard Rosenberg richrosenberg at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 28 21:11:47 BST 2003

Hello All. . .

Please forgive me as this is my first post. . .

I'm running Debian (woodybf24) and KDE3, I decided to install evolution
via apt-get and so ended up installing a lot of gnome stuff as well. As
a former RedHat user (for 4 years) I can't really describe just how much
better KDE runs on Debian, even on much slower hardware. . .but that is
another long and sad story.

Anyway, initially everything worked perfectly. After installing
evolution I noticed that I could not view the evolution application help
as HTML, I switched the default HTML viewer for Gnome (via gnome control
center) to Konqueror and at now at least I can choose Konqueror from a
listing of applicatoins when gnome opens up the evolution help as text.
I did this by logging out of KDE and logging into gnome and changing the
file association. I then logged back out, and logged into kde.

Lo and behold. . .I now had the gnome desktop icons (home, start here,
etc.) on my kde desktop. They all work too - when I click on 'start
here' it brings up the gnome application (nautilus 2.2.4). The worst
part is that a right-click on the kde desktop brings up the gnome
desktop menu. I've tried going into kde control center, and selecting
Desktop/Behavior to try and change it back - even clicking the
'defaults' button all to no avail.

While it is not a really serious problem, it is a really annoying one.
Any help is much appreciated. Running:

kde 3.1.2
gnome 2.2
evolution 1.2