more arts issues: flash audio delay

Nick THOMPSON nickthompson at agere.com
Tue Jul 1 09:57:21 BST 2003

Try using xmms with the aRts plugin. You will see there is no sync
between the spec analyser bars bouncing around and the audio output
either. Its most annoying in things like flash though.

aRts is an extremely configurable sound processing tool with loads of
interesting features, but they all add up to this delay occuring.
Packages that are properly integrated with aRts (e.g. noatun) know about
this and compensate somehow. But unless aRts becomes the standard, I
don't ever see most non kde apps being "fixed".

For those of us that don't want all the aRts features, it really would
be nice to have a drop-in replacement, that KDE could use, that didn't
cause the delay. Simple channel mixing shouldn't be a big issue should
it? I'm no expert though and maybe re-sampling slow streams is an issue
still and I guess you need some buffering to prevent stutters, but
windblows does this okay.

Still, I'm suprised that flash (and realplayer I think) uses aRts at
all. Since it does, maybe it will get a "fix" one day. In the mean time,
I'm hoping that a standard Linux sound system emerges soon.

Nick.