how to set character encoding in kcontrol ?

Martin Koller m.koller at surfeu.at
Tue Dec 23 15:26:50 GMT 2003

> > Before those upgrades, I could see the EURO sign e.g. when I type here in
> > kmail, but now I don't (do you see something if I type 3 times EURO "€€€"
> > ?).
>
> Yes, three EuroSigns.
>
> Did the EuroSigns in my e-mail show up OK on your system?

Huch - I now see the EUR signs in the mail composer as I reply to your mail
now ...

I found out, that this is due to the font _size_ I selected.
If I select Courier [Adobe] 10 points, I see the EUR sign.
If I select 9 points, I don't.
Any ideas how this can be?

Hmmm ... I think I do too much playing with the font stuff.
I have again upgraded to Xfree86-4.4 RC2, and have now only the Xfree fonts
installed. Now I don't have the Courier [Urw] font anymore, but only
Courier from Adobe Bitstream or Cronyx.

> > I just have some empty space). I use the font Courier [Urw], which
> > definitely has the EURO sign in Table 32 using kcharselect as you said -
> > but: Using kcharselect shows me the EURO sign in the table-view, but if I
> > click on the EURO sign, I get _nothing_ in the Textfield below, where
> > normally all the chars clicked on are pasted.
> >
> > Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?
>
> This is seriously weird. :-|
>
> You are having a font encoding problem (at least 90% sure but you never
> know for sure).
>
> But, you would normally get a small square box rather than a blank when the
> glyph isn't in the font.

Yes, sometimes I see the square, but sometimes not (Luxi Sans for example does
not) ... :-(

> Have you tried other fonts to see if you have the same problem?  That is
> probably what I would try next.
>
> As I said, some KDE applications let you set the encoding.  Did you try
> this in KMail?
>
> 	View => Set Encoding

Yes. Trying iso8859-15 or utf8 in this mail gives me the same result - no EUR
sign.

Thinking about the _size_ behaviour described above, it seems that Qt selects
different fonts e.g. when the selected size is not natively (as bitmapped
font) available. Question is: what does it select then, and - is this a Qt
bug?

When I run qtconfig and try the same font with different sizes, I also have
this problem - sometimes I see the EUR sometimes not, e.g.:
Courier [Adobe], Normal
6,7,9,11 don't show EUR
8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,28,36,48,72 are OK

- --
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
registered as user #332716 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

       Some operating systems are called 'user friendly',
             Linux however is 'expert friendly'.