DCOPServer problem

sohail at sohailsomani.com sohail at sohailsomani.com
Tue Apr 22 03:10:25 BST 2003

Ok I wonder if you guys have had this problem:

KDE Installs nicely, but some random time later, you get a DCOP server
connection problem. Below is the logfile from X (This is what will help
you). Ifyours is similar, then the problem is that you have an environment variable
$KDEHOME which is the same as a $KDEHOME variable used in the startkde
script. Unset or rename this variable (or comment out the appropriate line in
startkde) to fix the problem.

To the KDE guys: There are some kde configure scripts out there that use
$KDEHOME as the KDE installation directory, as a result, I set my
$KDEHOME=/usr/local/kde/ which obviously caused this problem. I suggest
that you either change the variable or warn the user about this problem.

Thanks and good luck,

Sohail

Heres the log file from X windows:

XIM DEBUG: mkfontdir: cannot unlink
/usr/local/kde/share/fonts/override/fonts.dir
mkfontdir: failed to create directory in /usr/local/kde/share/fonts/override
mkfontdir: cannot unlink /usr/local/kde/share/fonts/fonts.dir
mkfontdir: failed to create directory in /usr/local/kde/share/fonts
Error: Can not create link from "/usr/local/kde/tmp-localhost.localdomain" to
"/tmp/kde-Sohail"
Error: Can not create link from "/usr/local/kde/tmp-localhost.localdomain" to
"/tmp/kde-SohaildevX61"
Error: Can not create link from
"/usr/local/kde/socket-localhost.localdomain" to"/tmp/ksocket-Sohail"
Error: Can not create link from
"/usr/local/kde/socket-localhost.localdomain" to"/tmp/ksocket-SohailBYj9a4"
startkde: Starting up...
startkde: Running kpersonalizer...
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (-3)
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 3856, errno = 0
Error: Can not create link from
"/usr/local/kde/socket-localhost.localdomain" to"/tmp/ksocket-Sohail"
Error: Can not create link from
"/usr/local/kde/socket-localhost.localdomain" to"/tmp/ksocket-SohailSvUHIA"
Creating link /usr/local/kde/socket-localhost.localdomain.
trying to create local folder: Permission denied
failed to create /usr/local/kde/socket-localhost.localdomain/
kdeinit: Aborting. bind() failed: : Permission denied
Could not bind to socket '/usr/local/kde/kdeinit-:0'
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can not create link from
"/usr/local/kde/socket-localhost.localdomain" to"/tmp/ksocket-Sohail"
Error: Can not create link from
"/usr/local/kde/socket-localhost.localdomain" to"/tmp/ksocket-Sohail95rze9"
Creating link /usr/local/kde/socket-localhost.localdomain.
trying to create local folder: Permission denied
failed to create /usr/local/kde/socket-localhost.localdomain/
kdeinit: Aborting. bind() failed: : Permission denied
Could not bind to socket '/usr/local/kde/kdeinit-:0'
Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.
startkde: Shutting down...
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.