KDE 3.0, artsd, plugger, and galeon

Brian T. Schellenberger bts at babbleon.org
Sun Sep 15 23:04:01 BST 2002

I am having a problem whereby when a multimedia file is loaded by
plugger under galeon it can't open the sound device.

If I just kill artsd, that takes care of the problem.

- Is there some drawback to just killing artsd (perhaps all the time, or
even removing the darn thing)?

- Surely, regardless of that, there's some more "official" way to make
this work.  What is it?

- And finally, how is one supposed to learn about this?  The help tab
didn't seem to have any help on artsd at all.  In the past, the search
didn't work well under the KDE help center, but I'm not entirely
certain that removing it was a big improvement.

--
Brian, the man from Babble-On . . . .   bts at babbleon.org (personal)