Upgrading from KDE2.2.2 to KDE3 on FreeBSD

Julio Cesar Gazquez shulai at ciudad.com.ar
Thu May 23 22:57:15 BST 2002

El Vie 24 May 2002 04:12, James Richard Tyrer escribió:

>  You don't need to remove Qt.  The common wisdom is that you should have
>  KDELibs installed in a different directory, and you MUST have KDEBase
>  installed in a different directory.
>
>  What I did was remove every KDE package, install Qt-3.x (I left Qt-2.x
>  where it was), upgraded aRts, and installed KDE-3 in "/usr/kde3/".  I
>  don't know exactly what happens with aRts since KDE-3 insisted that aRts
>  1.0 needed to be in the KDE-3 directory tree and I think that KDE-2.x
>  includes a version of aRts.  Then I reinstalled: KDELibs and KDEBase in:
>  "/usr/local/kde2/" so I could continue to use KDE-2 apps.

I guess KDE is missing the ability to handle easily multiple KDE versions at
once. Right now, you can launch seamlessly a Gnome (or whatever )app from
KDE, but you must redefine KDEDIR and KDEBASE if you want to run an app from
another version of KDE. Even worst, KDE applies its color schemes to
Gnome/Athena/Motif apps, but is unable to handle the look of other KDEs...

--
Greetings

Julio César Gázquez