Setting file permissions

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Jun 29 08:49:23 BST 2002

Dylan wrote:
> How can I set konqueror to give default file permissions of rwxrwx--- instead
> of rwxr-xr-x?
>
> I've tried setting umask in the login script (bashrc) but no luck. Which
> script do I need to use for each user?

It isn't in normally in "bashrc", it is in: "/etc/profile" on my system.

--------------------------------

if [ `id -gn` = `id -un` -a `id -u` -gt 14 ]; then
	umask 002
else
	umask 022
fi

The first one is for 'root' and the second is for users' accounts.

Change it to 007.

Then, you need to make sure that "profile" ie run.  And this may be your
  only problem that it isn't being run.

The "Xsession" script must be a login script.  Change the first line to:

	#!/bin/bash --login

--
JRT