Large file copies using too much CPU time

Shane Wright me at shanewright.co.uk
Sun Jun 23 23:10:10 BST 2002

On Sunday 23 June 2002 10:31 pm, Dan Stone wrote:
> Arts isn't logging anything strange, from what I can see...actually, I
> can't find a log of any sort from arts, tbh =\  Where does it log to by
> default?

Hmm, good question I have no idea.  I'd assumed it would dump stuff to stdout
but after some experimentation it seems not.  What happens with big copies
when arts isn't running?

> As for the drive settings, is there anything from within the OS itself that
> I'd have to set?  The drives are set up correctly from within the BIOS...
> (sorry, I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to dealing with hardware settings
> in Linux =P)

Ah, hdparm is your friend :)  'hdparm /dev/hda' will show the status and
'hdparm -c1 -d1 /dev/hda' will set 32bit IO and DMA access to on (assuming
you have relatively recent motherboard and drives, substitute /dev/hda for
whichever drives you use).  Some distros do this automatically these days so
it may not need to be done.  You may need to stick the hdparm commands in a
startup script to run them on bootup.

Cheers

Shane

> On Sunday 23 June 2002 02:08 pm, Shane Wright wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Hmm, is arts giving any log info about what it's doing?
> >
> > (as a side note just in case, DMA and 32bit I/O is enable for the drives
> > I assume?)
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Shane
> >
> > On Sunday 23 June 2002 10:06 pm, Dan Stone wrote:
> > > Not always -- the problem manifests itself whether I'm just in a
> > > Konsole window unpacking a sizeable archive, or just copying files back
> > > and forth in Konqueror windows (or even just copying large files across
> > > partitions in Konsole...)
> > >
> > > Maybe I screwed up compiling arts somehow? *shrug* =P
> > >
> > > ~D. A. Stone

- --
Shane
http://www.shanewright.co.uk/