Kde Problem

Brian T. Schellenberger bts at babbleon.org
Wed Jul 24 01:15:06 BST 2002

On Tuesday 23 July 2002 07:26 pm, Michael Adam wrote:
| Am Dienstag, 23. Juli 2002 15:37 schrieb Brian T. Schellenberger:
| > On Tuesday 23 July 2002 03:02 am, Chakravarthi V S wrote:
| > | Hi all,
| > |
| > | I have 40 machines with Redhat 6.2 Installed and I'm using KDE version
| > | 1.1.2. On all the machines some time or the other without any reason X
| > | hangs and i have to log them off completely.
| > |  -- Is there any stable KDE version for Redhat 6.2 with 2.2.14-6.11
| > | kernel.
|
| You always can compile it from source, but your trouble seems to be X
| related, so you should prefer to search for in X related lists and groups.
|
| Do you run X on all machines or one X-Server with a couple of clients?
| Does the server hang and clients still stay alive, when X freezes or do all
| boxes freeze totally etc.?
|
| If you are running all boxes on RedHat 6.2 it would be most comfortable-
| just for convenience- if you upgrade to the recent 7.3, that includes a
| rather stable KDE 3.0.0 and X 4.2.0.
| Look for a mirror near your site at
| http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html and read the doc about
| kickstart-installations!
| Perhaps it is an exciting option to change the base system  to FreeBSD,
| but IMHO it is heavy work to perform this on a couple of boxes, while
| updating your distro should run without graver trouble -more often than not
|  ;-) . May be you run in some trouble after an upgrade of KDE by
| incompatibilities if you run apps written for KDE 1.x, so check your needs
| first.

I think FreeBSD is great, but my advice to "upgrade" to FreeBSD was meant to
be tounge-in-cheek.  However, my advice to upgrade X and KDE both is entirely
serious.  Unless you have a pretty unusual situation (custom KDE apps, for
example), KDE3 is unlikely to cause any great trouble and it's way more
functional.

But again, your problems are more likely with X than with KDE, so the better
part of caution would be to upgrade X and leave KDE alone.

Unless you have some reason to particularly suspect KDE as the culprit - ?

--
Brian, the man from Babble-On . . . .   bts at babbleon.org (personal)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org