Massive DCOP problems, all DCOP enabled apps crash

Jim Hazen jimhazen2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 10 03:14:26 BST 2002

Hello,

I've been through the lists and tried everything I could think of, but
still have this problem.

After a system crash and reboot, I found that KDE wasn't able to launch
any applications.  Things that normally run at login time like klipper
and kmix crash with a sig 11.  Other things that are launched like
konsole, konqueror, etc also crash in this way.

.xsession-errors has many KUniqueApplication: DCOP Communication Error!
messages whenever things crash.  The first thing to go is klauncher
which dies with a similar message.

I've tried bouncing the kdeinit dcopserver process - kills the current
session, logging in again yields same problem.
I've tried running kdeinit by hand and cleaning up any
.DCOPserver_<host> files that may be causing problems.
I've tried blowing away old socket and temp files in .kde/ and /tmp -
doesn't help.
I've made sure that my host name is in /etc/hosts and reachable via ping
`hostname`
I've reboot a zillion times.  I've tried creating new users and seeing
if it's just a problem with KDE and my user account - isn't.
I've run kbuildsycoca - didn't help.
I've even reinstalled kdelibs from CD (which should replace dcopserver)
- didn't help.

I'm running Mandrake 8.2
KDE 2.2.2
Wasn't doing anything special when this happend, no upgrades, etc.

If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it.  I'd be willing to send full
.xsession-error files if anyone wants them.  If anyone has any
suggestions I'd love to hear them.  Since I can't run just about any KDE
applications anymore, I'd really like to solve this problem ASAP.

Thanks all,
Jim