anti-aliased fonts

Praveen Ray praveen.ray at crcnet1.com
Wed Aug 21 14:52:35 BST 2002

Try following steps (as root)
1. Make sure 'xfs' is up and running :
> service xfs status
2. If not running start it :
> service xfs start
This starts the XFont Server (most probably it was already running)
3. Create a directory called 'TrueType' , if not there already :
> mkdir /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
4. If you do not have TTF files, steal them from a Windows 2000/NT machine
Mostly in winnt/system32/fonts directory. If not there, search for *.ttf files
in Windows directory and 'ftp' all *.ttf files to the newly created directory
in step 3.
as root)
> cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
6. run following command :
> ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale
This would create a 'fonts.scale' file in current directory. Make sure the
first line of the file is a number (It probably is).
7. copy this file to a new one :
> cp fonts.scale fonts.dir
8. Add this newly created directory to Font Server Path :
> chkfontpath -a /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
9. Restart 'xfs' :
> service xfs stop
> service xfs start
10. Make sure 'Use Anti Aliasing' is turned on in KDE
controlPanel/LookandFeel/Fonts
11. You should be able to see newly installed TT fonts in all KDE apps font
selected dialogs.
12. Sometime on my machine (RH7.1) 'xfs' server dies for no reason so I have
to keep restarting it.

Let us know if this works.