K Menu can not be edited with Menu Editor

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sun Aug 11 04:48:36 BST 2002

Chris C wrote:
> Please find answers included below. I can now see where the problem lies but
> not how to fix it!

Not to be too pessimistic, but I am afraid so.

>>Can you open a Konsole and execute:
>>
>>kbuildsycoca
>
> kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file OpenOffice.org
> 1.0/drawing.desk                 top has Type=Link instead of "Application"
> or "Service"
> kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : OpenOffice.org
> 1.0/drawing.desktop
> kio (KService*): WARNING: The desktop entry file
> SuSE/Games/Board/gtulpas.deskto                 p has Type=Game instead of
> "Application" or "Service"
> kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service : SuSE/Games/Board/gtulpas.desktop
> kio (KService*): WARNING: Invalid Service :
> SuSE/Multimedia/Video/susewm.desktop

As you can see something is very wrong here.  The relevant thing is that
if these "*.desktop" files are not valid that they don't show up on the
menu.  And I assume that only *.desktop" files with Type=Application
show up on the menu.

>>Do you get any error messages from it?
>>

>>>Adding even more still yields no change to K Menu.
>>
>>When you add something to the Menu with the Menu Editor, does it create
>>a file in the tree rooted at: ~/.kde/share/applnk/"?
>
> There are a few
>
> opt/kde2/share/applnk
> opt/kde3/share/applnk
> opt/office52/share/kde/applnk
> etc/opt/kde3/share/applnk
> home/chris/.kde/share/applnk
> home/chris/.kde2/share/applnk
>
> If I add an item in Menu Editor in the root  (ie top level in the tree view)
> it is placed in home/chris/.kde/share/applnk but it does NOT appear in THE
> menu. If I add an item in an existing node in the Menu Edit tree then in the
> home/chris/.kde/share/applnk folder it adds the top level folder of the tree
> view and the item within it. But ... yep no change in the menu itself.

This should happen automatically.  But, try opening a Konsole and
executing: kbuildsycoca again and see if that makes them appear.  If it
does, you have a minor problem, if not KDE is hosed and I suggest that
you reinstall KDE.  You do NOT have to reinstall the whole thing because
this is just a KDE problem.

> It appears from inspection that Menu Editor is showing a combination of
> home/chris/.kde/share/applnk AND opt/kde3/share/applnk.

That is the way it works.  The default menu is installed at the system
level and then your changes go in your user directory.

--
JRT