getting involved

Poletti, Don Don.Poletti at comverse.com
Tue Apr 30 17:01:09 BST 2002

I've some opinions about things in KDE that I think are
confusing and could be better. I was reserving any comment
until I saw KDE3 since some comments on the lists seemed
to indicate there were changes in those areas.

Well I loaded up KDE3 last night and took a look around and
I still see things I really think are confusing.

My question for this list is what is the correct/best approach
for championing/implementing change. I'll give a for instance.

I find setting up the background to be a bad UI design. There are
3 tabs sometimes setting in one tab override setting in other tabs
and sometimes the interact. The interaction is completely non-obvious
and its not clear when changing tabs is the settings are applied etc.

What approach should I take? It seems that changing such a visible
UI component should have some consensus? I don't want to spend the
effort making the changes just to have them never incorporated. However
it seems that in most open source project until you code a change you
your opinions are not take seriously.