Build error for boost-regex on Mac

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Sat Jul 21 22:10:51 BST 2018

On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 5:26 AM, Jack <ostroffjh at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On 2018.07.20 12:25, Robert Lancaster wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hannah and KDE windows,
>>
>> I’m getting this build error when I try to install boost-regex using the
>> standard blueprints in craft on Mac,
>>
>> fatal error: 'cstddef' file not found"
>> /Users/rlancaste/AstroRoot/kstars-craft/bin/bjam: b'#  include <cstddef>'
>> /Users/rlancaste/AstroRoot/kstars-craft/bin/bjam: b'           ^~~~~~~~~'
>> /Users/rlancaste/AstroRoot/kstars-craft/bin/bjam: b'1 error generated.'
>>
>> I’m fairly sure that this file is already on my system, so I think it is a
>> linking or blueprint error with craft.
>>
>> Any ideas,
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rob
>
> While waiting for a more definitive response, I would check exactly where
> that file is on your system, and if perhaps the build is expecting it to be
> somewhere else.

This issue also affects the Binary Factory, meaning this issue is
likely within boost-regex itself.

Googling seems to indicate that Boost requires patching to compile
under Clang on macOS, which Homebrew is capable of doing.
If someone has some time to figure out what bits are required from
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/boost.rb
then this can probably be fixed fairly easily.

(Updating Boost might also fix this)

> Jack

Regards,
Ben