Per-app MSI-based installers

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Jul 8 11:24:17 UTC 2014

I generally like the idea of a Muon Discover frontend for the Windows
installer.

In fact I think I even suggested that to some random KDE-on-Windows hacker
after seeing Aleix's talk at one of the previous Akademies (maybe two or three
years ago?)

Having that said:

On Wednesday, 2014-07-02, 13:53:57, John Layt wrote:

> Microsoft did announce a while back a project to build a package
> manager for Windows, but I haven't been following where that is up to.
> I can't even remember what it was called.  A quick Google suggests
> NuGet/CoApp is the result?  There are also other FOSS attempts to add
> package management to Windows, but we should really all work together
> to get one single functional and supported way of doing this for
> everyone, so a Microsoft supported solution is preferable albeit with
> the usual caveats about relying on anything from Microsoft.  Either
> way, having a method to resolve dependencies between binaries is only
> half the issue, you still need someone to build and supply those
> binaries and I don't see Microsoft doing that any time soon.  That's
> what KDE for Windows / emerge does already, and CoApp appears to do
> for NuGet.

There is also http://chocolatey.org/ which seems to be related to NuGet as
well.

> Even if we have standalone app installers in the Windows App Store
> that do some downloading of dependencies in the background, and even
> if we have a standard way of resolving those dependencies on Windows,
> and even if we have somewhere to download those Windows binaries from,
> we will still need to do the exact same thing again on Android and Mac
> seeing as neither of them offer native package management.

For Android we could probably piggy-back on Ministro.

KDE user support, developer mentoring