The future of KDE Development on Windows

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Apr 8 08:55:30 UTC 2014

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> On Tuesday, 2014-04-08, 10:30:11, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>
>> The KDE installer distribution is kind of like cygwin and is so complicated
>> that it will never reach a large audience. People want to download Krita,
>> not KDE. And besides, because it contains all the stuff for all the kde
>> applications, it's big and complicated.
>
> That is just an UI thing.
> A Muon discover like interface that only lists applications would basically be
> like an app store. Most people know how to work with those nowadays.

Which still won't work. People didn't install Intel AppUP, people won't
install a KDE app store on windows to get an application. Users show an
amazing amount of resistance to being asked to do A so they can get B,
they want B directly.

>> * make sure that no daemons run (because people with sensitive
>> firewalls will complain)
>
> I am no expert on Windows but I am pretty sure only IP based sockets are
> firewall territory.
>
> Never seen a firewall complain about named pipes.

I'm not a windows expert either, I just report that I got reports...

Oh, and what I forgot: just having an extra process that may or may not be
terminated after the application ends results in hours of user support
work... Best not to risk it and keep things as simple as possible,
especially if none of the daemons offer anything useful to the user.

Boud