KDE Development on Windows

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Apr 8 08:17:17 UTC 2014

On Monday 07 April 2014 Apr 14:08:38 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2014-04-02, 18:19:09, Chris wrote:
>
> > way dll's are loaded. App directory first, shared folders last. Why do I
> > even need ksycoca4 I'll never know. Are you really trying to emulate
> > windows registry? one of the worst inventions like ahh ever.
>
> The system config cache is not a config storage system.
>
> It  improves startup speed by creating a mmap-able cache of system
> configuration items. Not really needed on Windows where it is unlikely that
> there are system configuration files.

Well, you need it to load plugins with KServiceTypeTrader -- without a sycoca cache, that won't work as far as I know. If there's a way to make KServiceTypeTrader bypass sycoca and scan the desktop files directly, that would be awesome, of course.

Running kbuildsycoca4 as part of the installation procedure is a problem for a lot of reasons:

* it generates files, and if anything happens to those files the install is broken. Which means I cannot let the system generate the files in a place the user can delete, which means that the files need to be removed when uninstalling, which is tricky, since they weren't there when installing

* it makes a portable version of the kde application that uses plugins is impossible

* it needs to run in a cmd window, so users complain that the krita installer pops up a window -- they think that means the application is broken.

--
Boudewijn Rempt