KDE Development on Windows

Chris DeveloperChris at rebel.com.au
Wed Apr 2 07:49:09 UTC 2014

<rant>
As a developer who is trying to compile and then improve kmymoney on windows
I must say it is the most painful process.

If you want portability for KDE apps you need to uncouple applications from
a lot of the hardcore KDE stuff. Just creating a suitable environment for
building kmymoney has proved exhausting to the point of wanting to give up.
Is it really worth the agro?

I gave up two years ago and I am close to doing so again. What would help is
a way of isolating those libraries that are absolutely necessary AND make it
possible to have both a release copy of an application and a dev copy
running on the same machine. Currently the plugin architecture forbids it
without some serious acrobatics. Why the plugin system can't load a plugin
that is in the same directory as the application I do not know. Thats the
way dll's are loaded. App directory first, shared folders last. Why do I
even need ksycoca4 I'll never know. Are you really trying to emulate windows
registry? one of the worst inventions like ahh ever.

Now I have to get back to the build process it appears a library that I was
able to build last week cant be built this week. seems it cant find a header
file... sighhhh....

Oh and keep moving things to git that's is definately a major improvement.

Did you hear subversion is moving to git.... No wait 1st of April ;)

Chris
</rant>