The mertis and problems of InstallDB

Andre Heinecke aheinecke at intevation.de
Mon Jan 30 11:18:10 UTC 2012

Hi,
i'm a bit confused about the state of the Sqlite installdb in emerge.
I've just noticed that Ralf's commit 27e14d9f to not make the installdb
default actually kept installdb as the default (If the environment variable
is not set the Sqlitedb is used)
But before fixing this to really not make EMERGE_USE_SQLITEDB default i would
like to know a bit more about this.

What are the merits of the installdb? Why does it help why should we use / for
what is it planned to be used?

What are the specific implementation errors Ralf spoke of in his commit to
disable it?

I personally have a problem with installdb as it is still blocking when using
parallel.py. But i belive with a bit tracing the path leading there could be
found if necessary.

Regards,
Andre

--