akonadi_maildispatcher_agent.exe needs admin rights

Christian Quast wildcart at tzi.org
Sun May 16 13:53:29 CEST 2010

Dear all,

first of all let me say that I am new to this list. Next, you guys are doing a
really great job making windows usable ;)

I installed 4.4.0 mingw using the kde-win-installer (package maintainer mode)
on a system running Windows 7 64 bit. I am logged-in as a standard user. So
whenever some program needs more privileges I get a pop-up asking to enter the
admin password.

A lot of things work surprisingly well, thanks for that. Unfortunately, there
are also things that are not quite there yet. One of these is the akonadi
stuff (which is shows up as version 4.3.2 even in the 4.4.0 repositories). I
had my fair share of problems with it on linux but on windows its not yet
usable.

The first problem was getting it to start at all. These problems have been
discussed here before so I wont go into that. After getting it to start using
an external mysql server (not working though) I am able to use kmail. After
using it for two days without major incidents, I've got a new problem: the
akonadi_maildispatcher_agent wants to have admin rights. When I enter the
admin password at the pop-up, then the akonadi_maildispatcher_agent starts and
it runs as the admin user.

This causes several problems:
- I cannot send any mail from within kmail any more
- I cannot start any KDE program any more, well the programs start but their
GUIs don't show.

When I kill the akonadi_maildispatcher_agent using the windows task manager
the GUIs of the programs I started in the meantime show up. The akonadi server
tries to restart akonadi_maildispatcher_agent right away (as it is supposed to
do I guess) and the agent again asks for admin rights.

By chance I found out, that when I deny the admin rights (click on cancel in
the windows password dialogue) the akonadi_maildispatcher_agent is not started
and aknoadi does not try to restart it. Without this agent running I can
happily send mails and start any other prorgam.

Let me now if you need more information.

keep up the great work
Christian Quast