mt.exe from kdewin32 screws up msvc2005

Christian Ehrlicher Ch.Ehrlicher at gmx.de
Sat Sep 26 22:11:53 CEST 2009

Ralf Habacker schrieb:
> Christian Ehrlicher schrieb:
>> Because there're two mt.exe executables (the correct one from msvc and
>> the one from kdewin32) the wrong one is used when trying to build e.g.
>> automoc.exe which leads to an empty manifest resource in automoc4.exe.
>>
> The source of kdewin mt is available so the problem looks to be
> solvable. How is the exact build line for reproducing the problem.
I solved it by removing mt.exe. That's enough for me.
>> Removing the one from kdewin32 and rebuilding automoc4 resovles the issue.
>>
> The original mt from msvc is unusable when required to add vista uac
> manifest.

I know - but adding another tool with the same name... you know my
concerns about emulating a crappy tool like mt.exe instead creating a
good new one.
>> Since nobody had this problem before it looks like nobody is compiling
>> kde with msvc anymore... wow!
>>
> Because msvc2005 is not anymore downloadable from the mircosoft website
> everone builds now with msvc2008.

The mt.exe was created *before* msvc2008 support was added iirc. And now
I also understand why I had the problems some months ago.

Christian