Re: KDE on Windows- Flash Drive

Eduard Sucharev kraplax at mail.ru
Thu Aug 14 07:10:21 CEST 2008

There's no way to make KDE running from flash drive just like that - it requires some system environment variables which point to KDE root directory, that means that:
1) it'll be tied to the drive letter which will almost for sure be different on every host computer (and even on the same one)
2) it'll make a mess of your environment variables settings if done just like that.

If you're really curious about it, i guess you could write a .bat file which would add needed environment variables and then, you could run your KDE apps from flash drive. Also you'll need to make another .bat file that'll kill all kde-related processes and remove environment variables, so there'll be no tracks of KDE on the hosting computer. I haven't tried that and i don't know if it's really possible, but i guess it should work. Before experimenting - read carefully all the Techbase documentation, get fore familiar with Windows system and be sure to get the permission of the host computer owner.

Also, i guess you might find helpful this link:
http://portableapps.com/development
The whole site is devoted to making portable applications and provide a collection of some apps that were converted into portable.