emerge doing separate release and debug builds [was: MSVC build of kdelibs fails]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Dec 24 13:06:36 CET 2007

On 24.12.07 12:40:18, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Christian Ehrlicher schrieb:
> > Andreas Pakulat schrieb:
> >> And it gets even stranger, the qdbusxml2cpp program also links against
> >> qtdbus4.dll, but that one only has the warning about an unresolved
> >> import. And when opening qdbusxml2cpp it also finds the msvcr80.dll in
> >> that dir in windows\winsxs.
> >>
> >> Another difference between the 2 tools is that for qdbuscpp2xml there's
> >> no manifest file for the release version, while there is one for the
> >> debug version. Manually building the release version of qdbuscpp2xml
> >> does create the .manifest file in the obj-output folder and the
> >> resulting binary doesn't have any problems when opening in depends. So
> >> it seems that there's still some kind of bug inside Qt4.3.3 for building
> >> qdbuscpp2xml.exe, as its using the debug-binary instead of the release
> >> one, even though the releease rule is the last one executed according to
> >> the makefile.
> >>
> sure that release qdbuscpp2xml is build last ?

No, you understood wrong. According to the Makefile the release-XXX
targets are built last (i.e. listed last in the dependecy chain).
However it seems that when doing the actual building I get debug-built
qdbuscpp2xml (while the qdbusxml2cpp gets a release build). Seems like
chance or something like that that defines which binary one gets in the
end.

> unfortunally qt does not distinguish debug exe's from release exe's
> which would make it much easier to maintain.

Yeap.

> Because to not been influenced by such things, i use different dirs for
> debug and release builds as much as possible.

I'll try to have a look at emerge.

Andreas

--
You are number 6!  Who is number one?