"Documents" path usability issues.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Aug 9 16:50:10 CEST 2005

Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 August 2005 8:45, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>I would like to think better of you than the conclusion I have logically
>>reached regarding this posting to kde-usability-devel.  Since you
>>presumptuously dismissed what I said, the correct term is arrogance.
>

> I believe you've misunderstood the role of this mailing list and potentially
> some of the negativity was because of this.
>
> This mailing list was in a way created as a reaction to the "suggestion box"
> that kde-usability has become.
>
> There are places where it may be relevant to discuss the development model of
> KDE and how engineering practices fit into that, but this is not that place.
>
> If you look through the (fortunately not so huge) archives of this list you'll
> notice that it's mostly neither users nor developers discussing things here,
> but those who have put a focused effort into becoming knowledgable usability
> folks.  I think this list is largely for discussions between them and the
> occasional note from others bringing an issue to their attention.
>
> For those of us that have not spent the time to become usability folks
> (studying the methods, reading appropriate literature, etc.) -- myself
> included -- I think it's best to leave this location as a haven where those
> sorts of discussions can happen without noise from us.  I consider myself
> largely an interested observer and occasional agitator.  :-)
>
> Feel free to respond to me personally on this, but please keep these sorts of
> meta-discussions away from this list.  They've happened elsewhere and this
> just isn't a relevant location for such.  (As such I won't respond further on
> this thread on-list.)

Hi Scott.

My personal message to TZ appears to have escaped.  OOOOPPPSS.

I posted the original message because I felt that this *was* an issue
for usability developers.  If usability developers do not get involved,
the decision will be made by coders.

It should be obvious that the statement:

"I think that this would be better posted to the <whatever> list"

is much more likely to be understood compared to arrogance and rudeness,
but as I have said I don't understand the culture here.

If correctly interpret your meaning, the list no longer is what its name
suggests.  If it is just for HIG development, it should be renamed.

I will take your suggestion and repost to the usability list which isn't
really for development issues.

--
JRT