OTR support for KTp

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed May 21 21:04:20 UTC 2014

So everyone's up to date with the current situation:
 - Ziemin started a very cool project doing OTR as a middleware layer
between KTp and Telepathy CMs, proxying the channel traffic
 - We took him on for GSOC
 - Upstream finally started doing OTR themselves

It's a bit annoying, as we can now continue our own thing, or build
upon upstream's work, and contribute to that.

The danger of upstream is they have a habit of getting easily
distracted and never merging/releasing anything. It's happened before
on a very nearly completely implementation. However, this time things
are looking promising. 1.0 was delayed to get this in.

We're currently evaluating quite how we proceed, but the current plan
seems to be to build on top of upstream's OTR and 'just' add the
relevant UI layers in KTp. If so there will be some work both in
tp-logger and possibly helping with gabble to do as part of the GSOC.

We're having weekly meetings in ktp at conference.kdetalk.net. Typically
Monday afternoon. You're welcome to join.

Zeimin's tasks for next week:
1) publish blog post
2) compile the new gabble and try to set up an OTR chat by poking at
it via qdbus
3) compare the list of features we have to what the current gabble
branch can do.