Super Early GSOC Thread

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Jan 30 00:10:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM, George Kiagiadakis <
kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM, David Edmundson
> <david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone have any ideas for projects?
> >>
> > I want some kick-ass demo of tubes. I ideally want my collaborative
> editor
> > plugin in kate. To make us more than just "another IM client."
>
> I think I've seen this idea before, more than once, and it turned out
> to be more complicated than we thought... I don't know... Now we have
> d-bus tubes, of course, which may change things.
>
> We've discussed it lots, but AFAIK no-one has ever tried. It is tricky,
but it is a well documented problem with /lots/ of reference code. (just
none directly in Qt).

I've seen a javascript implementation of the hard part in under 500 lines
(does plain text only). I'd be happy if the student just took it and
wrapped it up in QtScript...

> > Unit testing our library? I'm not sure anyone would want to do that.
> Partly
> > because it's boring, and partly because unit testing something with dbus
> > stuff is very hard.
>
> Maybe... For some people (like me), this could be very interesting as
> well...
>
> and we need another you :D
I'll definitely include it in the proposals then. I'll try not to include
the word "boring" in the explanation :P

> *Crazy idea* Could we get a student to work on TpQt and finish the CM
> > bindings? I had a look, and quite a bit is done... the code is not /that/
> > hard.
>
> Awesome idea too, given that I doubt anybody will ever do that work
> otherwise, and might also give us a new maintainer for telepathy-qt.
> But it requires quite some skills...

And a guy here who knows TpQt very well. It would need you, Dario, or
someone at Collabora (Andrunko?) on board for this to happen. Collabora
have been part of GSOC before, so they might be happy to invest time to
mentor.