Seperating mailing list traffic

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 14:51:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 15:30, Daniele E. Domenichelli <
daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/03/12 14:51, Martin Klapetek wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 13:55, Martin Klapetek<martin.klapetek@**
>> gmail.com <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>>wrote:
>>
>>  Is anyone using GMail filtering+labels for ktp bugs? The current setup
>>> seems to not enable proper GMail filtering as the only way how to
>>> properly
>>> filter ktp bugzilla stuff would be to watch X-Bugzilla mail headers, but
>>> GMail does not allow that.
>>>
>>> Have anyone figured the filtering out? Currently it's a major step back
>>> for me as I get /lots/ of emails everyday, filtering and labeling allowed
>>> me to focus only on ktp bugs, now I have to look for them in the flood of
>>> other unfiltrable emails :/
>>>

>>>  After some research it turns out one cannot filter and label ktp
>> bugzilla
>> messages in the current state, which leads to email mess and highly
>> decreased productivity. I've checked up with other KDE projects and they
>> all use real mailing lists for bugs (check [1] for -bugs), therefore the
>> obvious solution would be to create a 'kde-telepathy-bugs' mailing list.
>> The effect will be exactly the same - main mailing list staying clean of
>> bugzilla spam and as a bonus developers will have a better control over
>> the
>> emails.
>>

> Free non-opensource webmail interfaces suck, what were you expecting? Just
> stop using them!

Filtering by email headers is not something you do everyday. I'd be
surprised how many opensource interfaces actually can do that. But that's
not the point, I'm not going to force anyone to use different client
because we made a bad decision.

> Anyway after a few minutes of research the best I can do is to filter out
> using this filter "to:(<your email address>) You are watching the assignee
> of the bug.", but this works only if you are following only the
> kde-telepathy-bugs-null.

Yeah this breaks if you watch more users :/

> A good solution is that we request a -bugs mailing list and those who have
> a normal email client can follow the bugzilla user, the others can
> subscribe to the -bugs mailing list and receive the messages twice.

I wouldn't consider email client not being able to filter by non-standard
email headers as "non normal" :P However archiving bugzilla emails (if we
had the bugs ML) is also good for googling stuff, most of the time you'll
find the archived message instead of the bugzilla page itself, so there
goes another ++ for that step.

--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer