Message Filtering Plugin System GSOC 2012

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 17:53:58 UTC 2012

Replying CC'ing the mailing list

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM, .●๋•vívểkツ <vivek.purushoth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Vivek from Bangalore, India. I am a Qt developer and have recently been
> involved in KDE. I am passionate about open source development. I found the
> GSoC 2012 project: "Message Filtering Plugin System" very interesting.
>
> I am very much interested to work on this project for GSoC 2012. Can you
> please guide me on how to go about this project.

Step 1, email the mailing list showing that you have some interesting
ideas for the project.
You emailed me, so you were pretty close.

> I have some more ideas for this project.
>
> 1)Identify any mail id's in the message obtained and give it in the form of
> mailto: onclick and give a suggestion to add them to contacts(KAddressBook).
> 2)Small Source codes shared in the messages can have syntax highlighting and
> indentation.
> 3)If the message received is pretty big, instead of flooding the receiver's
> chat box, it can be shown in a compact view with an option to expand(arrow
> to the left).
> 4)Suggestion to bookmark if there are any links in the message.
> 5)If there are any dates/day specified in the message, a suggestion can be
> given to add them to their calendar(Kontact).
> 6)Using Nepomuk, the email ids or website links appearing in the chat box
> can be linked to resources.
> 7)Interpret message smileys like :) :( :O :P ;) etc and show it in picture
> emotions(like animated gif).

Good stuff. There's a lot of technical challenges in those, and a bit
of research needed (such as...we already interpret smileys and show it
in picture emoticons).

Step 2: You need to do a bit of research into the area, make a list of
what you intend to code, how you intend to do it. i.e the Calendar
one; I've got no idea how you could do that.
The more it shows that you've thought through everything, the more
likely we are to pick you as a GSOC student.

Step 3:
Show us you can code. Have you made any other KDE contributions? Any
other projects? Ideally do some junior jobs on our project
(http://community.kde.org/Real-Time_Communication_and_Collaboration#Getting_Involved)
to prove yourself, and to familiarise yourself with the code.