Setting sane defaults

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 13:19:42 UTC 2012

Yo,

TL;DR: I agree with everything, let's change that (in master/0.4), and
ask Bjorn if he could give a look at our other defaults to see if it
makes sense

2012/2/17 Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com>:
> Hey all,
>
> I'd like to change some default settings in ktp based on Fedora packagers
> input. Mainly these three:
>
> 1) Open contact list when clicking presence plasmoid by default
>     -- currently it does "Do nothing"
>     -- 1a) - remove this option altogether - choices are "Do nothing", "Open
> contact list", "Open accounts manager" -- imho it does not make much sense
> to open accounts manager from systray presence controlling applet. Besides
> this option is in the context menu as well. So my proposal is - remove this
> "what to do on click" option and default to open contact list.

Correct reasoning IMHO. 99% of the users will think that this is the
tray icon for the contact list, and we're supposed to make them
believing they're having this kind of interaction to avoid to confuse
them - remember that the component separation should happen on a
technical level, but the product should feel coherent and fully
integrated.

> 2) Use compact delegate in contact list. It just looks better.

++

> 3) Use KDE's Download dir for file transfer and remove this option from kcm.
> This was a suggestion and I personally have no strong feelings either way.
> The rationale is being that you already set Download dir in Account Details
> -> Paths, so it's quite redundant. Obviously you might want to save your FT
> files elsewhere so...I just don't know.

I think this is sensible and see point 1) why. We could close this
argument by saying that our components are pretty much unusable
altogether anywhere outside KDE, so it doesn't make sense to us not to
depend on some very KDE-specific options. Besides that, if we're also
providing a "save/save to..." option when accepting a FT, I guess this
goes out of scope since the directory where the file will be saved is
gonna be generic unless the user has a specific requirement.

> What do you think?

First of all I think it's great you cared about this. It's also great
you guys had a chat with Bjorn at FOSDEM, and we should not drop this.
Defaults are one of the areas where usability matters the most - what
about taking this opportunity to review that, and ask Bjorn what he
thinks about some stuff we're not 100% convinced on (or maybe even
stuff we're convinced about)?