Treeview behavior

Maxime Corteel mcorteel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 22:35:43 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm working with the kde-telepathy team and we have an embarassing usability
question.
Our contact list component uses a modified QTreeView where headers are
hand-painted and expansion arrows (the triangular thing on the left) can't
be used to expand categories. Because of that, you can just click or double
click on the whole header to expand the category (see [1]).
The question is : how do we handle double/single click system settings?
The best thing I can think of is :
 * When the system is set to single click:
   - A single click on a header expands/collapses the category
   - A single click on a contact opens a conversation
 * When the system is set to double click:
   - A double click on a header expands/collapses the category
   - A double click on a contact opens a conversation.
The problem is that some of us complain about single click starting a
conversation (because it would be too easy to start a conversation and you
can trigger it by accident)

So what does the usability team recommend?

Regards,

Maxime Corteel

[1] http://imageshack.us/f/90/telepathyclheaderandcon.png/