Adding/Approving/Removing Contacts

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 22:53:26 CEST 2011

One of the outstanding features left before our first release is the adding
and approving of contacts.

The main issue is the "who (which component) is responsible for doing this".
I want to discuss this on the ML as I don't feel enough stuff is being
discussed/announced at present.

I think "add contact" should go in the contact list, as it makes sense to
open that to alter your contacts. Same for removing them.
(I have a patch for this, waiting on Martin's merge)
In future we have DrDanz's KJobs for doing this all with all the nepomuk
jazz, and my "add user dialog" could be made shareable.

The issue is "approving contacts" (or to use the correct term
presencePublicationRequested) when someone else adds you. Telepathy is
always running and you may be signed in regardless of whether you have the
contact list open. In this happens someone needs to notify the user of this
event.

I was discussing with George K that this should go into the approver, it's
always running all the time and communicates via KNotify. It seems a
sensible choice (even the name fits)

Does anyone object to adding this functionality into the KDE approver?

@Telepathy-Qt4 people:
What happens if everyone ignores the presencePublicationRequested() signal,
and no-one calls authorisePresencePublication or anything? Is the incoming
request lost forever?

Dave