KDE Telepathy Sprint 2011 - Preliminary setup

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 3 11:02:48 CEST 2011

2011/6/3 Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com>:
> Hi everyone, and greetings from Randa.
>
> Me and three other KDE-Tp souls have been gathering to do some code, and talk
> about our future. In particular, it was a nice chance to talk about our future
> and start a preliminary plan for...
>
>  KDE TELEPATHY SPRINT 2011!!!

Nice one :)

> Ok, wind down. We tried and set some common goals we want to share with you,
> and get common agreement on, to get the organizational gears running as soon
> as possible. That's what we all expect to happen:
>
>  1. Since we're meeting together, we can experience a boost of productivity
> (like we're doing now)

+1

>  2. Where are we going now? Discuss mid/long-term plans

+1

>  3. Get back to our original plan. Resurrect Nepomuk and the Logger

+1 (although most of the resurrection will have happened well before
any sprint date).

>  4. Improve KDE integration, and (the possible timeframe for the sprint will
> be perfect for that) define where each KDE-Tp component stands inside KDE

+1

>  5. Get some beers, make new friends

+1

> In addition to that, I would like to have some "external" people, who will be
> supposed to use Telepathy in the real KDE world. The first example which comes
> to my mind is Alex Fiestas, afiestas in IRC. I would love to see 2-3 of that
> guys, to have an informed opinion on whether our track is right or not.

This is cool, but we need to be *really* careful not to lose focus. We
have a lot of fundamental stuff to get nailed before we can really get
carried away with "flying car future" so by all means let's invite
some people along, but remember that the focus of the sprint should be
getting the basics nailed down. Despite the fantastic progress
recently, we still have a very long way to go there.

> While I am writing this mail, I'm also checking if Collabora's Cambridge
> office will be available as a venue. That's 99,9% likely, but still, feel free
> to propose any different venue you might prefer.

Collabora office is ideal because we have upstream folks around to
help us when we need it - really not an opportunity to be missed.

> Also, we thought about having the sprint in mid-september, which appears to be
> a good time for holding that. Is this fine with you? I drafted a small doodle
> poll just to keep track of that:

Yes, this is ideal date wise, because it is a while after akademy,
letting us have time to action any plans made there and be ready for
some new planning at the sprint.

> http://www.doodle.com/ht9zhduyv2t88hpv

personal aside - since this is almost certainly going to be a "long
weekend" sprint, why not add the sunday/saturday/friday on at the
start of the poll instead of starting on Monday?

> Again, nothing really decided: I just want to get stuff ready asap to get the
> organization as relaxed as possible.

Cool. Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this.

--
George