Handler error

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 12:42:02 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Francesco Nwokeka <
francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>        I wanted to notify you about an error I've been getting this morning
> and can't seem to solve
> it.
> This is what mission-control-5 tells me:
>
> mcd-WARNING **: Channel request /com/nokia/MissionControl/requests/r1
> failed, error: Handler no
> longer available
>
> it can't handle any chats incoming or outgoing. Does anyone know why this
> happens and how to solve
> it?
>
> Francesco

Turns out i'm an idiot who doesn't test properly.

I recently modded the chat handler to be a KUniqueApplication, that broke
everything.

[11:20] <d_ed> the reason is (probably) that KUniqueApplication forks pretty
soon after startup, and messes with the initial dbus things
[11:21] <d_ed> so it loads - but the incoming dbus message that started it,
isn't passed on to the real application
[11:22] <oggis_> oh indeed the dbus daemon probably watches for the process
it actually executes
[11:22] <oggis_> and waits for it to register the service name it activated,
or exit, whichever happens first
[11:23] <oggis_> so no, no, don't fork and exit from activatable dbus
services

I just reverted that behaviour and now everything is fine.