KDE Telepathy Nepomuk questions

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun Apr 3 12:17:10 CEST 2011

Firstly, a big thanks to George for writing the blog articles about the
vision of KDE Telepathy.

For those who don't read planetKDE:
http://grundleborg.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/the-vision-of-kde-telepathy-part-1-%E2%80%93-the-problem/
<http://grundleborg.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/the-vision-of-kde-telepathy-part-1-%E2%80%93-the-problem/>
http://grundleborg.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/the-vision-of-kde-telepathy-part-2-%E2%80%93-the-solution/
<http://grundleborg.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/the-vision-of-kde-telepathy-part-2-%E2%80%93-the-solution/>
http://grundleborg.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/the-vision-of-kde-telepathy-part-3-%E2%80%93-the-implementation/

<http://grundleborg.wordpress.com/2011/04/03/the-vision-of-kde-telepathy-part-3-%E2%80%93-the-implementation/>I've
spent this morning reading through all the source code, I'm still a bit
unsure on a few things.

Most my thoughts are summarised into:
 - Will we still just access telepathy directly when there's no nepomuk
additions?

Example:
 I just added an "add account dialog" which has a list of all accounts which
have "canRequestPresenceSubscription" available.
 I don't see any point in ever storing that kind of data in nepomuk, it's
not something any other app would want, or something you'd ever want to
query.

Or my chat handler (sorry, text-ui) I'm dealing with contacts here (not
people) as you only care about the state on the interface you're chatting
on. It seems pointless for me to make a Nepomuk::Contact from my Tp::Contact
which I have in the channel, then monitor the changes that happen to the
nepomuk::Contact as it's just a layer of complexity in the middle which
doesn't give me anything.

---

Despite the line "although applications can access the Telepathy data
directly from Nepomuk" I didn't see any interface to do that (is it just not
done yet). For me it's quite a big thing, we should never try to "abstract
telepathy" so you can't reach it, only add layers on top for UI and
metadata.

Dave