[KDE-Sonnet] Spell server

Barış Metin baris at pardus.org.tr
Mon Jan 29 15:07:35 CET 2007

29 Oca 2007 Pts 11:59 tarihinde, Jacob Rideout şunları yazmıştı:
> > What I dream of doing:
> > * Add the server as an Enchant provider so you could install enchant and
> > never have to configure any spell checker ever again as long as theirs a
> > server.  Plus even if you don't have the language on the server it would
> > go out and use another server to do the checking.
> > * Have servers able to upgrade to newer spell checkers magically.  And
> > also add dictionaries that are requested relatively frequently.
> > * Make a CSAPI spell checker that can use the server (And hell will
> > freeze over :)
>
> This sounds really interesting. I like the idea about submitting user
> PWLs to a central database, this would allow us to create lexicons of
> a language in real time as it evolves. This both useful to end users
> and would be quite fascinating to researchers.
>
> Has any of this been released yet? If so, where can the code be found?

I like Dwayne's ideas and can see the benefits behind it. In Pardus[1] we have
our spell checker Zemberek as a system service (zemberek-server) and all the
programs (a.k.a. clients) needing spell-checking features connects to it.
Currently clients connect to the local service only but as zemberek-server
accepts TCP connections, remote requests are possible too.

We have a command-line interface to it (zpspell) which some clients use and
Enchant also has zemberek-server support in CVS.

What we do in Pardus may not be directly related to Dwayne's dreams but in
some aspect it has a same approach to the spell checking facility.

1. www.pardus.org/eng/
2. http://svn.pardus.org.tr/uludag/trunk/zemberek-pardus/

Cheers,
--