I missed the deadline for applying, but can I still work on one of the projects without mentoring?

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Mon May 30 09:59:03 BST 2022

Hi David,

Le dim. 29 mai 2022 à 09:36, David Narvaez <david.narvaez at computer.org> a
écrit :

> On Sun, May 29, 2022 at 2:19 AM Johnny Jazeix <jazeix at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> you should contact the kde-devel at kde.org list to propose your idea and
>> see if it is something the developers want or not before starting on it.
>> Then, if it is something they want, you can work on it outside GSoC, there
>> is no issue with that.
>>

>  I disagree. And this is where the whole summer program philosophy has
> turned the system backwards: Most OS contributors just have an itch they
> need to fix and they just contribute a fix. The GSoC model has turned the
> tables around where people just want to find something to fix given that
> KDE is accepting students. This proposal makes sense to the proposer so
> the proposer should be able to implement it and submit a merge request. If
> the developers do not like it, that is a plausible outcome. Ultimately, it
> is a matter of the KDE community backing up the fix rather than the KDE
> community approving for someone to implement the fix.
>
> David E. Narvaez

My point was more to discuss with the devs on how best the feature can be
developed or by what it could be better and not make Samuel lose any time
working on a feature that could not be merged or should be rewritten
because there is a better solution.

Whether this specific request is related to GSoC or not does not matter, I
think it is still better to first discuss and then implement it to have a
chance to get it merged than to do the thing first and being disappointed
at the end if it does not get merged or rewritten.

Of course, nothings prevents OP to work on it and do a MR without
discussing first but in the projects I'm part of, we already had some
contributors doing MR to do features that were already existing just
because they didn't know and it's a loss of time that could have been
prevented by discussing earlier.

Cheers,

Johnny