Welcome!

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 03:58:18 BST 2021

A few of you have already subscribed to this mail list, which is excellent.
Those who were just subscribed got the following welcome note:

Greetings students! Please excuse the delay in welcoming you to the KDE
Community and adding you all to the student mail list, KDE-Soc at kde.org. If
you have not used a mail list before, this will be your introduction to
this old and stil very useful tech. While the program continues, you must
stay subscribed so we can address all students at one time. In addition,
you may ask questions of one another, keeping in mind that most members of
the list are fellow students, although some of the administrators, mentors
and former students are subscribed as well.

If you have not yet subscribed to the KDE developers list, please do so,
along with your own team's list if they have one. Talk to the team about
their preferred channel of communication, and use it. Some of the IRC
channels /Matrix rooms and Telegram groups are bridged, although this is a
work in progress right now, because of recent events in our former IRC
home, Freenode. We have moved to Libera.chat for the most part. Remember
that the official venue of communication is always the mail list.

By now you should have your developer account set up so that you can commit
to your team's codebase, and review the commits of your fellow devels.
KDE's reason for participating in Google Summer of Code is not to get code
from you. Instead, our goal is new KDE Developers! This is why we require
frequent communication from YOU, each of you, with your team and your
mentor(s). Please ask your questions in public, NOT privately. Yes, this
feels uncomfortable at first, but this is what works best for everyone.
Private communication is OK if you are passing along truly private
information, such as your private contact information. Otherwise, it is
important that all communication be public.

Most of your questions should be asked of the team with which you are
working or other public channels, but questions that only your fellow
students can answer are welcome here. We notice who asks questions, and who
is helpful to their fellow students. Remember, this is not a *competition*
-- we are all in this together, and helping one another is what KDE is all
about. We are a community who makes software, and we welcome you in!

Please consider also joining the KDE Community ML:
Akademy: https://akademy.kde.org/2021/cfp - online only again this year.

Feel free to respond to this message with questions and clarifications. I
fixed a few typos above -- sorry about that!

Welcome!

Valorie, for the KDE GSoC administration team

PS: I hope see all of you at Akademy soon 😊

--
http://about.me/valoriez - pronouns: she/her