GSoC-Survey

Andreas Schilling andreas.schilling at uni-bamberg.de
Sat Jul 2 21:36:11 CEST 2011

Dear GSoC students of 2011,

I hope you all enjoy your participation at Google Summer of Code 2011
and you are making good progress with your programming projects. My name
is Andreas Schilling. I am a research assistant at the chair of
Information Systems and Services at the University of Bamberg. In my
research I examine factors that drive developers to contribute to
open-source projects. Together with Lydia Pintscher, I am currently
analyzing motivational factors that are especially important for
GSoC-students at KDE. Because the best way to find out more about these
driving factors is to survey the people who are directly affected, I
would like to take the chance and ask you all to answer the
questionnaire linked below. The questionnaire is 4 pages long and is
structured in the sections “Demographic data”, “Your motivation”, “Your
experiences so far” and “Your conclusions”. I would greatly appreciate
if you could take 10 minutes (I promise it won’t take longer) and answer
the questions until July 15th.

The questionnaire is designed to offer you the highest level of
anonymity, so please answer the questions honestly. At the beginning you
are asked to enter your Melange ID. This is necessary because the
questionnaire is publicly accessible, so that I have to ensure that only
the responds from enrolled GSoC-2011 students are considered. Lydia
provided me already with a list of valid IDs, so I can assure you that
none of your personal answers will ever be given to the KDE team (not
even to Lydia) or to any other party. Consequently, I guarantee you that
your answers have no effect at any time on your GSoC-evaluations or on
your stipends.

Please find the questionnaire under this link:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFo0LWhIdFdvcnA5RFROaUlRNjNPT1E6MQ

As soon as I finish my research, I will publish the aggregated results
of this study on Lydia’s blog, so that you can have a look the findings.

Finally I would like to wish all of you lots of success for your coding
projects.

Thank you all very much in advance.

Andreas