The one fault you CANNOT make

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Thu May 15 21:05:20 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Riccardo Iaconelli <riccardo at kde.org> wrote:
> On 5/15/08, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday 15 May 2008 10:29:28 Will Stephenson wrote:
>> > No, because the weekly emails form a structured record of your progress.
>> >  An IRC log is not structured and can easily decompose into "Ping."
>> > "Pong."
>> > without mentioning your work that week or results.
>>

>> Let's put it this way then: your mentor decides.
>>
>> Having a track record is preferrable, but if your mentor waives the
>> requirement, it's ok as well.
>
> What should be our arguments to take a decision for using one (IRC) or the
> other (ML)?

Personally I think even constant contact on IRC doesn't replace a
thoughtful weekly status report over email. Making sure you don't get
bogged down in something is the main goal of the mentor, and a summary
of your work is the best way to figure that out.

However Thiago's main goal is to make sure people stay in contact in some form.

Ian