Status Report for KCall/VoIP

Eva Brucherseifer eva.brucherseifer at basyskom.de
Sun Jul 24 20:30:50 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Sunday 24 July 2005 19:09, Malte Böhme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Sonntag 24 Juli 2005 13:16 schrieb Eva Brucherseifer:
> > Usually KControl is not the place to configure an application. A better
> > way is to configure an application from the gui that belongs to the
> > application. The reason is, that the user shouldn't need to know about
> > any architecture or framework which makes this difficult to achieve. This
> > is why I think that the kcm solution is the worst solution usabilitywise,
> > esp. if you add even more kcm modules for each plugin.
>
> Perhaps i wasn't clear enought: you dont configure the plugin through
> KControl!
> The kcm is basically a widget that gets loaded into the gui. See
> kcall-tng/kcall/src/kcallgui_part.cpp KCallGuiPart::configure() (around
> line 223).

Ah ok. I wasn't aware of this. It's of course a nice solution.
For the plugins it would be nice to have a way to seperate between plugin
settings and account settings. I like the way kopete configures the accounts,
but this is difficult to achive.
For the soc it's probably best to create one kcm module per plugin and to
forget about several accounts within one plugin for now.

[...]

> > Another idea was, to extend the plugin api, so that the plugin itself
> > communicates which settings it needs to know and the gui displays this.
> > Maybe by using an XML description.
>
> I really like the idea and also looked into that, but i dont think i have
> the time to do this during SoC.

Yes, that is also why I also didn't take this way in the first place. We
wanted a fast release during Linuxtag ;-)

Greetings,
eva