Konqueror for a New Experience (mockup)

illogic-al obennett at hartford.edu
Mon Mar 13 16:09:22 CET 2006

On Sunday 12 March 2006 23:19, Micah Wylde wrote:
> That's really impressive, and there are a lot of great ideas in there
> (especially the sidebar in file-view mode; very nice). However, I don't
> really like the idea of hiding the menu by default. I think that that's
> something that most people will be using regularly enough that you don't
> want it by default accessible only by an extra mouse click.
Maybe. But there's really no empirical data to support that view :-)
I personally don't know anyone who uses it (all windows users I know however),
and I do rarely. I am actually interested in seeing who really uses the
menubar for file management on a regular basis. Regular enough to want it to
stay by default.
In any case the problem is easily solved by making that button toggable. After
the menu is viewable in its full glory forever. Better yet, in the kde
libraries one could have a new function for a menu that exposes its child
items on mouse over. That way there is no extra click for the lazy among us
(like me). It would also be available for use by other applications which may
choose to do something similar.

But back to my impromptu over-the-mailinglist survey, does anyone here use the
konqueror file manager menu items frequently enough to be truly annoyed at
potentially one more mouse click to access it?
For me it's not an issue.

@ Inaki, I saw this yesterday on kde-look.org (or kde-apps.org) and thought it
was awesome. You've obviously thought about this and what's even more
admirable, taken the time to illustrate to us  your vision. Whether or not
this ever sees the light of day, thank you and keep the ideas coming.
Also I started playing around with Qt 4 and found it pretty easy to understand
(granted I was only trying to do the Qt3 tutorials in Qt4). You may want to
start playing around with it just to see how you like it. Maybe you'll be
inspired to do something cool. :-)