discuss: consistency in KDE GUI

Orville Bennett illogical1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 15:10:53 CET 2006

On Dec 22, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, 22. Dezember 2006 14:47, schrieb Orville Bennett:
>> On Dec 22, 2006, at 1:12 AM, subbukk wrote:
>>> Should KDE core libs be engineered to encourage (or enforce) this
>>> consistency?
>>
>> How do you encourage consistency with a set of libraries? I can see
>> how you could enforce this, but "therein lies the path to destruction
>> my son."
>
> Oh. What do you mean by this?
By forcing someone to conform to your standards of what is best, you
encourage them to go elsewhere. Some applications violate certain
aspects of the HIG as it stands, and will probably continue to do so
in the future. If compliance were forced upon them they could choose
in the begin, they could easily have chosen another platform to
develop on, if it's forced after, they could choose to spend valuable
time trying to undo this instead of contributing to their respective
apps. And that, that would be a shame.